Tuesday, March 25, 2008

MTWP: Renee

My cousin Renee has always been a strong presence in my life. She is the cool cousin who we would wait by the window for when we were younger, we'd hear her car come speeding in the driveway and run out to greet her!! She taught me all the coolest things: shopping (in the good section of the mall), how to do my hair (we won't talk about the scar I have from the curling iron), how to wear makeup, funny curse words (my dad didn't like that part), showing us the latest trends (pegging your jeans, hello, priceless advice!) letting me borrow her clothes (I wore the "just another lizard for peace" shirt until it fell apart a few years ago!). There wasn't anything Renee wouldn't do for my brother and I. And now, she has become the rock of the family. We all gather at her house for holidays. She has the most amazing energy about her. Her daughters, who melt my heart whenever I see them, Grace (4) and Brooke (2), are non-stop balls of energy. But somehow, Renee seems to have triple their energy and is always two steps ahead of them. I don't know how she does it. Renee is always ready to hear a good joke, have a good laugh, offer up good ideas or even better advice. She has a natural nurturing ability and always makes sure to take care of the people around her. She's a cousin, and more like a sister to me than I ever realized. I'm so glad she'll be by my side on my wedding day, couldn't imagine it any other way!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This makes me cry - what a sweet tribute to an awesome woman!! ~Mom of the Bride and Renee's Aunt!

Anonymous said...

Great description of Renee!

Anonymous said...

WOW -- I really sound awsome! Thanks Kate! I'm a little upset that you didnd't point out that you knew all of the words to Piano Man by the time you were 5!!!!!

And I really am sorry about the whole curling iron incident!